Mopus Chapter 3 – The rim’s the thing

After a bit of an adventure, the rim of the Mopus guitar is done. I made some missteps, some which I’ll mention and some that I won’t. One thing I find very rewarding about guitar building is that it seems like every mistake is an opportunity to get creative, and so far that’s been true of every guitar I’ve built. Mopus, being built completely from scratch, provides me far more opportunities to mess up get creative.

To make a rim from the sides, the first step was to cut blocks of mahogany to serve as heel and end blocks. When I built the Stew-Mac guitar kit, these came already made, but this time all I have is hunks of wood. Luckily, I now have a band saw, so making these blocks is a no brainer.

I decided to use white glue for the blocks, I was planning to use hot hide glue for everything, but I kinda chickened out here.  The main reason was that I somehow managed to cut the sides a little short, and I needed extra gluing time to make sure the rim hugged the mold. The sides therefore do not meet each other, but that’s not a problem because later on you wind up covering these areas anyway.  From here on out it’s hide glue….. I think.

I then got to try out my new radius dishes for the first time. The guitar back and front are not flat, they instead have a gentle radius. A radius dish is a sanding surface which conforms to the desired radius and using one ensures that everything will fit together nicely. Last time around, I made a “sanding stick” to do this, but this time I invested in some dishes from Canadian Luthier’s Supply . Here I’m putting a radius on the back of the rim:

Then I installed the kerfing. This is the slotted wood strips that line the rim and provide the gluing surface for the front and back. Just to make things extra complicated, I used mahogany “reverse kerfing” which is very fragile and requires pre-bending. And to really kick it up a notch, I used hide glue for the first time. Before I was done, I had several moments of panic, I even made the crazy mistake of bending the kerfing upside down and applying glue before realizing my mistake. I was all set to punt and order new kerfing, when Lucas said – “hey I thought the whole point of hide glue is that it’s reversible”. Truth. So armed with a heat gun and tiny scrapers, I removed the glue from each kerf until it looked like new. I managed to do that without breaking it, which is a miracle. Then I bent it the correct way, reapplied the glue, and continued with my life like nothing ever happened.

Next project was to cut strips of leftover rosewood to act as side braces. Not much to tell here, but i did get to build some clamp mouse traps. I keep re-discovering that you simply can’t have too many clamps. It’s just not possible.

Then I made an end graft for the butt end of the guitar. Since I made a mistake and cut the sides short, it’s only appropriate that I over-compensate by making a nice end graft. I used a bit of curly maple and some perfling, and made it a bit wider than usual, to cover my blunder:

To finish off the rim, I made a sound port. You don’t find sound ports on production guitars, but are common on high quality hand made instruments. They vent the sound so that the player can hear better, and actually improve the overall sound of the guitar. Since this is Mopus, named after a kitten, I decided to go with a paw print. To prevent cracking the sides, I first made a few thin strips of veneer on the bandsaw, one in maple and one in rosewood. I pre-bent them slightly to prevent cracking:

To make a clamping caul, I used Friendly Plastic – which becomes pliable when heated and then rigid when cooled.

Clamping the veneers in place:

After a couple of attempts, I settled on the graphic and position and glued on a template:

To cut the soundport, I used a Dremel and a cutting bit:

After some clean up with various files:

And now the rim is officially done!  

I might as well confess one other blunder innovative feature of Mopus. When clamping the guitar I discovered that the rim is thinner on one side than the other, by nearly 1/2″ in the lower bout. For the life of me I can’t figure out how this happened, I cut both sides together, and there really is no obvious way I could have done this. It’s much too late to do anything about it, so from now on I’m sticking with the story that this is an intentional feature. The idea is that when held in a playing position, the guitar will sit on your body more comfortably, since it’s thinner on the upper side. Yeah, now that I think about it, I definitely meant to do that.

Now… on to the back.