I took today as a vacation day – so I had some time to work on both my microshop and the guitar. The one thing I wanted to take care of was the damn light switch – it’s been hanging on a wire outside the shop for long enough. I routed the wiring through the wall studs, cut a hole for a light switch to be mounted on the wall, and wired it up. Much better!
Now that I have a Go-bar Deck, I really don’t have a reason to delay working on the top bracing any longer. But I still didn’t have anything resembling a radius disk, so I went low tech to come up with a solution. The idea is that while clamping down the braces, something needs to support them at close to the proper radius. I had read one idea that should work that involved index cards – I read that as ultra cheap – so what the hell, lets try it. I clamped down one of the longest braces at the center and slid in one index card after another, filling the gap with ever more cards. Then I taped the stack together with masking tape. This worked quite well – so I made several more curved cauls this way.
With that puzzle solved, I could work on fitting the braces to the top. I penciled the brace positions using the blueprint, and then made notches where the braces meet. Then I sanded and formed the braces to fit.
It’s finally time to glue the x-braces in place! The Go-bar deck worked well – however there is one annoyance I may want to fix. Turns out that 3/4″ plywood I used flexes a small amount when enough bars are used – the net effect is that often putting a bar in could reduce the tension on another enough that it will pop out. I did get used to it a bit with some practice, checking the tension often on all rods. I think I’ll get around to reinforcing the top and bottom of the deck with MDF, but this will work for now.
Afterwards, Tim and John came over for some catching up, some pizza, and some guitar playing. A fun evening after a full day!